Surely summer is your favourite season? In Melbourne, the weather is actually nice for once, the ‘beaches’ are busy and one key game changer comes into play… DAYLIGHT SAVINGS! Winter blues is now a thing of the past and we are ready to explore the beautiful city!
Here is your top 15 must do things in Melbourne this summer!
- Well most importantly, it is Christmas in summer so this means, Christmas light looking, the town hall is shining bright, The big Christmas tree in the city, the Gingerbread Village is in full swing and the most important part, Christmas drinks (see below for inspo) and Myer’s Christmas window, oh and Giftorium! Everyone loves Christmas and there will be loads of events coming up.
- If you haven’t had enough of eating around Christmas time, Melbourne has some amazing summer markets. Including South Melbourne weeknight market on Thursdays (and of course weekend), Queen Vic Summer Market on Wednesdays – currently, they have a Hawker Hall Market – and my all-time favourite, Night Noodle Market along Birrarung Marr, amazing (although in November)! Another great summer food and drinks spot, Welcome to Thornbury, it’s like a food market all the time.
- Daylight savings means after work walks, late afternoon walks and most importantly beach trips! Go after work or on a Sunday afternoon for a beautiful sunset and fish and chips. St Kilda beach is amazing in summer, people have music on and everyone is super happy – oh and the penguins on the rocks. Honestly, late afternoon beach trips are my favourite part of summer. Other favourites include Altona, Williamstown, Elwood, Brighton and South Melbourne.
- Hire or get your bike out, Melbourne has some amazing bike tracks! The Main Yarra Bike Trail will take you to pretty much any part of the city, explore the suburbs on your bike, just go for it!
- Drinks and more drinks on rooftop bars. Some on my list include Good Heavens, Rooftop Bar, Bomba and Loop Roof. But, ones I love and you must try include (and are not limited to) the Corner Hotel, Goldilocks, QT, Imperial Hotel, Naked of Satan, The Emerald Peacock, Mt View Hotel, The Palmz, The Provincial, Madame Brussels – okay I need to stop the list is endless and the views are amazing. Just head into the city and try some places. Oh and then let me know!
- Once you have had a big night discovering all the amazing rooftops in Melbourne, yes we all get carried away, hit up the local pool for a hangover cure – or back to the beach. Prahran outdoor has a good deck to sunbake and loads of shade in case that headache is too much. On a Sunday in summer, Prahran and Fitzroy even have DJ’s! Also, Melbourne has a new rooftop pool opening, called Reunion Island, I will definitely be checking it out.
- Or, if Saturday night wasn’t enough, how about a Sunday session at The Fitzroy Social, Peacock Hotel, Arbory Floating Bar, Republica, College Lawn, The Richmond Social, or my personal favourite, The Richmond Club. These are all perfect outdoor/beer gardens bars for the summer, some will even do cocktail jugs specials and live music, winning. Read more here: Bars in Melbourne
- Nothing says summer like a picnic! Why not pack some delicious food, some drinks and enjoy the amazing weather. Even better pick somewhere with a great view and you’ll be laughing. My recommendations? Botanical Gardens in the city is a must, Studley Park in Kew, Anderson’s Park in Hawthorn is a personal favourite, or in Altona, Truganina Park has a good distant view of the city. Edinborough Gardens in Fitzroy has a great vide, or even your local park. Take your pick! If you find a cool spot with a city view, please tell me.
- Late night treat or anytime treat? Melbourne has some amazing ice cream/gelato stores around the city. My personal favourites include Messina of course (make sure you download the app if you’re cashless) but, I really love Piccolina, such amazing gelato and a super cute shop! I feel like all ice cream is good anyway!
- Melbourne is very known for being the sporting capital and summer displays some of the best! Head to the MCG for the Boxing Day test (cricket) or any Big Bash match is always a good experience! Summer is the season for Melbourne United in the Basketball. Going on Boxing Day I was really impressed with how entertaining NBL is after going to the NBA. Then there is the famous Australian Open (tennis)! A must for summer and always a great day. Get a day pass and go in the first week to get more for you $$!
- Brunch is something you can definitely do all year round but add in a walk on a beautiful summer morning/arvo and you’re set! There are so many brunch places in Melbourne to choose from and not one will disappoint. Check out some of my favourites: Touring Melbourne: Dessert Brunch, Brunch places in Melbourne.
- Open air cinemas are out in full force and there are so many good ones! Moonlight at the Botanical Gardens has been my favourite so far, but Lido in Hawthorn is also a great one and probably the cheapest! Then you have Rooftop Bar, one at St Kilda Beach plus many more others to check out.
- Want to head a little further out for a day? Try a Wine Tour to the Mornington Peninsula or Yarra Valley, such a great day out and a wine to cool you down on a hot summer day, is there anything better? You can do a Google search to find tours running from the city, but the Wine Bus is a good option for Yarra Valley!
- Or how about a road trip? Head down the coast either east or west and you are set for a great time! Read more about here: Travelling Victoria – Mornington Peninsula (more exploring), Travelling around Victoria: Mornington Peninsula, Travelling Victoria: The Great Ocean Road + Skydiving.
- Finally, if we experience three or more days of over 35 degrees – like last summer – pump that aircon and put Netflix on, or try watching some true Australian shows including my personal favourite Kath and Kim because really, you’re only human.
SUBSCRIBE!! You won’t regret it!